Church History

Crown Stained Glass

The Pinetops Presbyterian Church, a mission of Howard Memorial Presbyterian Church in Tarboro, was organized in May 1910 following an evangelistic meeting held by Reverend C. W. Belk. Dr. W. D. Morton of Rocky Mount, chairman of the Commission of Albemarle Presbytery, helped organize the church with eleven charter members.

The Sunday School organized in 1911. Classes and worship services were held in the Pinetops School building.

The first church building, a frame building, was erected in 1913. The first service held in the new church was conducted by evangelist Robert F. King.

Howard Memorial Presbyterian Church provided pastors for Pinetops until 1918. The first resident pastor, N.N. Fleming, was called in March of 1918.

The Women's Auxiliary was organized in July 1920. A Men's Club was organized in April of 1923 with J. V. Cobb, Sr. as president.

Grace Chapel, a mission of our church, was organized in 1933. Mr. Ed Lovelace donated the land on which to build a church and house at Suggs Crossroads.

In 1940 the old church structure was torn down. Under the capable leadership of Reverend H. R. McFayden, a new church building was erected on the same site. The dedication service was held June 7, 1942.

A new educational building was erected in 1950 under the leadership of Reverend Claude Pepper.

As we near the end of our Centennial Year, we are grateful for the generosity and Christian stewardship of our congregation. With God leading us, we will pursue the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead for us.

Back to "About Us"...


Footer